Tuesday, October 23, 2012

S'more Cookies




If you have had a look at my other blog “experiences living abroad” then you will know that I was lucky enough to live in a few different countries when I was growing up.  I got to spend time both in Canada and in the United States… and while there I discovered S’mores.  Like most people that had never heard of them the first question is…. What’s a S’more?  A S’more is two graham crackers with a chunk of chocolate and a campfire roasted marshmallow in between…and they are called S’mores because you always want some-more!

I was looking through some cooking recipes to make for my husband and the guys he works with…and when I discovered a recipe for S’more cookies I had to try them!  This recipe will make a dozen large cookies or two dozen small-regular sized cookies…and they are truly delicious!


Ingredients:

8 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup graham cracker (smashed)
1 cup mini chocolate chips
1 cup mini-marshmallows





Method:

Preheat oven to 175 Celcius / 350 Fahrenheit.
Line cookie sheet with aluminium foil (I butter it so I know they won’t stick) in preparation for the cookies.

Cream the butter and sugars till they are light and fluffy… the original recipe said this would take about 4 minutes and I am guessing this meant they assumed that everyone would have an electric mixer.  If you don’t have an electric mixer; get ready for an arm workout.

Add the egg and vanilla and mix until they are smooth – again if you don’t have a mixer this could take a while.

Mix the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, graham crackers) gradually.  I put about 4 large graham crackers into a ziplock bag and hit them with the heel of my hand till I thought they were sufficiently broken up.  Don't go crazy with the mixing here…just so it’s all mixed through.

Fold in the marshmallows and choc chips and when it’s all combined you can start moulding them into balls of cookie goodness.  You will need to form the balls, approximately 1 inch around, by hand.  My hands are always really hot and this is not good for the cookie mix – if you are the same run your hands under cold water for a while before you get started – you want the mix to stay firm while you are getting them on the cookie tray and if your hands are hot they will start to melt.

Gently press each ball to flatten slightly if you like a flatter cookie (I do… the really high ones are hard to eat!) Bake the cookies for about 10 minutes; or until the cookies are a golden-brown colour.
As soon as you get them out the oven place them on a wire rack to cool…then enjoy!

Notes:

I changed it just a little here and there….




No comments:

Post a Comment